美国女排“全国女子运动日“签名活动并同时纪念去世的海曼

[复制链接]
发表于 2007-2-7 23:25:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  U.S. Women’s National Training Team Autograph Signing
Bill Kauffman
Manager, Media Relations and Publications
Phone: 719-228-6800
E-Mail: bill.kauffman@usav.org

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Feb. 5, 2007) – Members of the U.S. Women’s National Volleyball Training Team will sign autographs from 1-2 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 10, at Colorado College’s El Pomar Great Hall in Colorado Springs.

The autograph session with Courtney Thompson (Kent, Wash.), Kristen Fenton (Marysville, Mich.) and Allison Anderson (Moraga, Calif.) takes place during Colorado College’s National Girls and Women in Sports Day Expo on campus. Immediately after the Expo, the CC Tiger women’s basketball team faces Johnson & Wales University in the J. Juan Reid Gymnasium. The Expo and basketball game are free and open to the public.

CC will also be collecting items including soap, shampoo and toothpaste for TESSA, a Colorado Springs organization that aims to significantly reduce domestic violence through education, intervention and treatment services. According to a Colorado College flyer, other U.S. Olympians will be present at the Expo.

NGWSD began in 1987 as a day to remember U.S. Olympic volleyball player Flo Hyman for her athletic achievements and her work to assure equality for women's sports. Hyman died of Marfan's Syndrome in 1986 while competing in a volleyball tournament in Japan. She had just been substituted out of a match when she had succumbed to the undiagnosed illness. Marfan Syndrome affects more than 1 in 10,000 people.

Since Hyman’s passing, NGWSD has evolved into a day to acknowledge the past and recognize current sports achievements, the positive influence of sports participation, and the continuing struggle for equality and access for women in sports.

Hyman’s achievements were numerous. She helped the U.S. Olympic Team to a silver medal at the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, four years after her and her teammates did not have the opportunity to compete in the U.S.-boycotted 1980 Olympic Games. Among her achievements was being selected Best Hitter at the 1981 World Cup.

Diane French, the U.S. women’s national team technical coordinator, holds the National Girls and Women in Sports Day dear to her heart as she was a teammate of Hyman from 1975 to 1980.

“I joined the national team in 1975 and Flo was my assigned roommate,” French said. “I was at little nervous at first because she was so well-known and I was just a rookie from the East Coast. But she was so down-to-earth and friendly that she made me feel right at home.”

French, who was on the 1980 U.S. Olympic squad with Hyman that did not compete because of the boycott, commented that Hyman’s success helped lift women’s volleyball in status across the country.

“Flo was a real dominant player, our go-to player on the outside” French said. “She carried a lot of responsibility for our team not just on the court, but off the court as well. Much of her success came during the infancy of the Title IX era in which young girls were exposed to volleyball on several domestic tours. It is great that Flo continues to be honored through the National Girls and Women in Sports Day. She has meant a lot to the sport of women’s volleyball here in the United States.”
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-7 23:25:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  U.S. Women’s National Training Team Autograph Signing
Bill Kauffman
Manager, Media Relations and Publications
Phone: 719-228-6800
E-Mail: bill.kauffman@usav.org

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Feb. 5, 2007) – Members of the U.S. Women’s National Volleyball Training Team will sign autographs from 1-2 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 10, at Colorado College’s El Pomar Great Hall in Colorado Springs.

The autograph session with Courtney Thompson (Kent, Wash.), Kristen Fenton (Marysville, Mich.) and Allison Anderson (Moraga, Calif.) takes place during Colorado College’s National Girls and Women in Sports Day Expo on campus. Immediately after the Expo, the CC Tiger women’s basketball team faces Johnson & Wales University in the J. Juan Reid Gymnasium. The Expo and basketball game are free and open to the public.

CC will also be collecting items including soap, shampoo and toothpaste for TESSA, a Colorado Springs organization that aims to significantly reduce domestic violence through education, intervention and treatment services. According to a Colorado College flyer, other U.S. Olympians will be present at the Expo.

NGWSD began in 1987 as a day to remember U.S. Olympic volleyball player Flo Hyman for her athletic achievements and her work to assure equality for women's sports. Hyman died of Marfan's Syndrome in 1986 while competing in a volleyball tournament in Japan. She had just been substituted out of a match when she had succumbed to the undiagnosed illness. Marfan Syndrome affects more than 1 in 10,000 people.

Since Hyman’s passing, NGWSD has evolved into a day to acknowledge the past and recognize current sports achievements, the positive influence of sports participation, and the continuing struggle for equality and access for women in sports.

Hyman’s achievements were numerous. She helped the U.S. Olympic Team to a silver medal at the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, four years after her and her teammates did not have the opportunity to compete in the U.S.-boycotted 1980 Olympic Games. Among her achievements was being selected Best Hitter at the 1981 World Cup.

Diane French, the U.S. women’s national team technical coordinator, holds the National Girls and Women in Sports Day dear to her heart as she was a teammate of Hyman from 1975 to 1980.

“I joined the national team in 1975 and Flo was my assigned roommate,” French said. “I was at little nervous at first because she was so well-known and I was just a rookie from the East Coast. But she was so down-to-earth and friendly that she made me feel right at home.”

French, who was on the 1980 U.S. Olympic squad with Hyman that did not compete because of the boycott, commented that Hyman’s success helped lift women’s volleyball in status across the country.

“Flo was a real dominant player, our go-to player on the outside” French said. “She carried a lot of responsibility for our team not just on the court, but off the court as well. Much of her success came during the infancy of the Title IX era in which young girls were exposed to volleyball on several domestic tours. It is great that Flo continues to be honored through the National Girls and Women in Sports Day. She has meant a lot to the sport of women’s volleyball here in the United States.”
发表于 2007-2-8 00:22:24 | 显示全部楼层
好长的英文,虽然额是英语专业的,也经不起这样的折磨撒!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-8 00:22:52 | 显示全部楼层
第一次抢到沙发一顶要坐,不过英文很多年不用只看懂了个基本意思有点郁闷
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-8 00:28:56 | 显示全部楼层
哎呀怎么比我先回完贴,我的一楼还我河山之
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-8 00:34:30 | 显示全部楼层
不知道当年大荣队的队医是不是在hyman换下之后对她进行过初步的检查,hyman当时在后排脸色就已经发青,体力不支,米田换她下场,怎么还只让她在旁边进行短暂的休息
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-8 00:49:10 | 显示全部楼层
吐血中,终于看完了。
曾经的世界头号主攻手啊,真是很可惜。不过在她钟爱的排球场上离开,也算死得其所了。
想不到海曼在排球场之外也有贡献,美国并不太重视女排,还能这样记得她,也算是对与她英年早逝的告慰吧。

另外,海曼的那个马氏综合症,到底是什么样的病啊?肖建华当年得的是不是也是一样的病?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-8 00:50:10 | 显示全部楼层
看不懂,不过海曼是很可惜了,那么强悍的主攻……
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 开放注册

本版积分规则

QQ|手机版|小黑屋|VBOL.cn ( 浙公网安备 33021202000496号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 15:00 , Processed in 0.183917 second(s), 24 queries .